Friday 10 April 2009

CFIDS onlibe support topic- fibrofog

Our topic for this month is fibrofog or cognitive disfunction. Although I have also seen it recently called being thought disordered.

I used to be very nuch bothered by this, that is to say I still get the brainfog but try not to get so stressed any more about it.
In the past I have found myself struck completely dumb when I had a meeting with a recalcitrant consultant and coulod not speak at all as he was so imtimidating. The end result was that he sent me for the test that I was hoping for so no harm done except to increase my awareness of the problems it can cause. I now take to any consultation or meeting notes about my medical history including family history, any medication I am taking, last weeks diary as well as the questions I want to be answered. If I am feeling particularly vulnerable I would take someone else with me.

When I was having many stressful meetings regarding my work complaint I used to have written in my notebook the following: I need a break
I need time to answer
Stop and wait please for me to order my thoughts
I would then point to the relevant statement for my union rep to say. It worked well for me at te time to feel that I had some control over the situation.
I have now become the notebook queen and always carry a pretty notebook to help me keep track of what Iam doing my goals and targets. I also use my mobile phone as a notebook and either create a note to myself, use the calender to set reminders for myself or make a text in draft form for something I have to remember.
Despite this I have still missed a hydrotherapy apointment this week and rang to apologise on Wednesday am for missing the apponitment that morning but it was actually Tuesday morning.
I also find it very worrying when people tell me I have said things without realising it such as saying in a shop that I had a "sexual problem" when I mean't to say I had a medical problem to try to explain my getting mixed up. So although it is funny now it is worrying and makes me feel I lack control. Will end now as worrying am getting too long thanks
Here is an article written by Bruce Campbell about this subject:
http://www.cfidsselfhelp.org/library/lifting-fog-treating-cognitive-problems

No comments:

Post a Comment