Sunday 22 March 2009

Going to Parties and Other Ocassions

Yesterday was my Mum's 95th birthday so a party has been planned for ages for it. I went yesterday and had a really good time but just think its useful to think about how to plan foir these life events that come up and enjoy them.

I haven't been too good for a few days and have been wondering if worrying about going has contributed to this?

So I think the best idea is to look on it as a problem solving exercise you know you want to go so how best to go, get the best out of it and minimise any possible flare-up afterwards.

So plan the event:

How long will you stay? Try to decide this before hand so you know and can pace yourself, if you have a partner they can remind you when it is time to go.

Can you go earlier and rest somewhere beforehand? if not can someone else drive and you lie down in the back of the car to maximise rest.

What will you wear- I start with heels and take flats and try to go with comfort and style not always easy. Although I got the most compliments one party where I was feeling very poorly and threw on a tried and trusted outfit so maybe I have mastered effortless style.
In the day or days before you go depending on your energy levels make sure you gets lots of rest look after yourself maybe do a bit of pampering while you are relaxing so you have your nails done etc before the event.

At our family parties people usually chip in with cooking or preparing but I usually just send a donation for two reasons- its much easier if I don't have the added stress of a job to do on the day and if I can't go then no-one is waitng for the all inportant puds or sonething.

What do you want to get out of it? I just mean how best to enjoy it without wearing yourself out.
We are known as the dancing aunties at our family parties although it has just dawned on me we have now become the dancing grannies. But dancing although I love it has become much harder for me to do so I have mastered the art of dancing without moving my feet and if you can find a handy wall to lean on at the same time all the better.

Let go of other peoples expectations of you? If you always did all the cooking or were the entertainer them maybe you can't do that any more so you will need to delegate and let go of your past role in life.

I used to be the first one to dance and was asked to get up to dance last night but thats not really me any more although I did do it becuase its not so easy for me to do and I miss it badly but of course while I was dancing I was missing out on all the gossip so theres my compensation for that.

Whatever you are going to or planning to go to-- ENJOY

1 comment:

  1. Dancing grannies! Mmmmm... never really liked to be called grandma before but dancing grannies reads better than dancing nannies! It used to be dancing with youngest chid in tow now its grandchildren! Today I decided to let the kids make me breakfast - dont ususally let them do this - Andrew and Becky made us all bacon rolls, with left over french sticks of course. Today I realised that I find it very hard to let others do things for me, I am so used to doing everything for myself - have added it to my 101 list. It was hard but I did, delegation is not something I find easy but the kids are all grown up now and I need to think of myself - selfish as it may seem - hopefully it may lead to a more stressfree life!

    ReplyDelete