Monday 30 March 2009

Counselling CBT It Helped Me

I have been lucky enough to have had six weeks of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy on theNHS and then have had two years of counselling with the Wimbledon Guild at reduced cost.



At first I went to counselling because of on-going problems at work with a manager who had great difficulty dealing with someone with an invisible disability. I soon found that I had other problems wghen I realised that this new illness I had been newly diagnosed with was not going to go away, there was no cure and it seemed like a life sentence.



Going to counselling mean't not only was I able to deal with my problems at work, cry shout about the unfairness of it all but I was able to deal with the grief I felt about losing the person I was. That busy person who could do anything and probably more than one thing at a time.

Who was I, what was going to become of me when I had no job to define me? I was given extra sesssions when I found that I could not cope without the weekly sessions following a problem in the family just before last Christmas, I was not ready to do without my listening ear.



I was also able to explore problems from my childhood that I didn't realise I had, feelings of the strong need to be liked and overcaring for people then being surprised when they did not live up to my standards.



This was indeed a bonus of receiving counselling and I now feel like I truly know myself, what my needs are, my strengths and weaknesses. My reasons for behaving as I do and I feel a great peace within myself because I know myself. Whatever hapens to me I will be able to cope, I will manage, I will survive. If you get the oppurtunity to have counselling say yes please and take full advantage of it.

1 comment: